More Chrono Cross characters
[10.17.99] » Ayla's daughter may be one of ten new characters
joining the cast.
With exactly one month to go until Chrono Cross's
release, Square unveiled the next batch of character designs. This
batch is particularly odd; four of the characters appear to be under the
age of 6 and another one is a normally inanimate object. Without
further ado, the new party members are:
- Orlha, an Amazonian female warrior. She looks almost identical to
Seiken Densetsu 3's Riesz; Chrono Cross character designer Nobuteru
Yuki drew the characters for that game too. (Unlike Riesz, however,
Orlha fights with her fists instead of a weapon.)
- Lucky Dan, the first of many truly bizarre characters in the list.
Picture a naked scarecrow with no head and a big smiley face painted
on the top of his torso. Now stick three candles in that scarecrow's head
and give him a necklace with a flashlight attached, and you've got
Lucky Dan. Apparently he likes to dance, too.
- Farga, a fairly generic fighter-type character. He has black
clothing and wears a red bandanna, but his most distinguishing features
are probably the hawk tattoo on his left shoulder and his long black
mustache. His weapon appears to be a spear.
- Bancliff, a scholarly fellow with blue hair and glasses. Expect
him to be more of a magic-user.
- Ishito, a gunfighter whose face bears a stark similarity to that of
Resident Evil 2's Leon Kennedy. For clothing, Ishito wears a blue
uniform, a black military jacket, and a Squall-style pair of brown
- Leea, who is very likely the daughter of Chrono Trigger's Ayla.
Her hair and eyes are identical to Ayla's; on the other hand, Leea does
carry a weapon (an axe) and wears a blue crystal pendant.
- Steena, another female magic-user. Her grayish-blue hair and
clothing style make her almost identical to Suikoden's Jeane. Steena
does fight, however; her weapon in battle is a staff.
- Dragon Child, whose name describes him well -- he's an adorable
little yellow baby dragon. His skin has blue stripes and he has purple
- Star Child, best described as a Teletubby with a really
big head. Underneath his massive blue cranium, he wears a red and white
costume. Star Child also rides around in a UFO; based on this and his
name, we're betting he's from another planet.
- Fio, the weirdest of the new characters. Fio is best
described as a baby version of Breath of Fire II's plant-man Spar; flowers
and other shrubbery grow out of her head and she has a sunflower-shaped
necklace. In place of arms, she has long blades of grass; this sharp
foliage is also her weapon.
screenshots of this motley crew
are also available.
When these newcomers are combined with the previous 8 characters, 18 party members are now known
to the public. Square still maintains that a total of 40 playable
characters are in Chrono Cross, so expect the final game to feature plenty more
flaming scarecrows, super-deformed midget aliens, and other freaks